Here’s a list of good ideas to help keep your pet safe, healthy & relaxed – all while having a great time at the Pet Parade! Pay particular attention to how your pet is doing around other people and animals – and in the weather. Portland temperatures, at this time of year, can change quickly and things can heat up fast for animals.
- Don’t leave your pet in the car, even just for a minute.
- Give your pet frequent access to plenty of water.
- Do not have your pet eat food without knowing the contents and source are safe.
- Keep your pet from eating plants on the ground like mushrooms and dandelions which can be toxic or cause allergic reactions.
- Know the signs of exhaustion, over-heating and too much stimulation: Watch for excessive panting, glassy eyes, discoloration on the tongue, nervous energy, high body temperature and agitation.
- Be observant for injuries or soreness, especially on the pads of feet or under fur and feathers.
- Ask for permission with the owner before you pet an animal that isn’t part of your own family. This helps everyone have a safe and respectful time.
If you have concerns about your pet’s health, check in with your vet for a consultation.